Friday, February 19, 2010

AWOL blogger back in business!

When chaos piles onto stress which had rear-ended having too many irons in the fire, apparently a blogger like myself goes 'missing' online until he finally starts to sort it all out! Your humble correspondent apologizes for a preposterous lack of blog posts these past several months.
Well, let's get around to catching y'all up:
early October: my landlord asks me to move, on short notice, into another apartment in the same building so he can start renovating my place (which probably needed a makeover 30 years ago - let alone now).
The catch is that the temporary apartment is a studio apartment...and my apartment is a spacious (read: Dave-sized) 1 bedroom. And it is absurdly overloaded with stuff. Uh-oh.

I spent 3 months in the temporary place, from mid-October to mid-January. I believe I mastered the art of putting things on top of other things. At the very least, I got a LOT of practice at it. ;-)

Then I had to move everything back into my rejuvenated (well, to a point; that landlord is thrifty, to the point of being cheap. The walls were stripped of all the old paint & wallpaper, insulation was installed, the hardwood floors were sanded down and urethane'd, the bathroom was thoroughly redone; all well and good and a big improvement, but it's easy to spot the numerous instances where he really skimped on workmanship and finer details. Oh well, what can one expect these days?) apartment. So getting all my stuff edited slightly, rearranged and reordered has kept me pretty busy recently whenever I wasn't working, eating, making music, reading, writing, painting and sleeping!

In between moves I had a couple gigs with Odaiko New England, traveled to southern Texas to spend Christmas with my Mom and (increasingly frail) Dad, played a delightful gig at Precinct Bar (Somerville, Mass.) with Mary & the Band, acquired a doumbek from a taiko friend, met a fellow musician & talented multi-instrumentalist, Harry Hussey, and had a fruitful jam session (he on acoustic guitar, me on the bass), attended Odaiko New England's Shin'nenkai (basically a New Year's Party - an opportunity to enjoy a potluck dinner, alcoholic beverages and a generally great time together), and I completed a small painting (acrylic on canvas) to be sold off as part of a fundraising effort. It turned out more or less okay, but I wish I had started it earlier than I did; I was literally finishing it up about 12 hours before I had to deliver it! So there are a couple of details I'd have liked to improve upon but just ran out of time. Maybe I'll post a photo of it - eventually.

Oh, and in case you didn't already know, I'm out there on Twitter, too! If you're on that as well, you can find me as "BassManDave".

Have to run - working on a couple of side projects for Odaiko New England - but I just had to provide an update SOMEWHERE along the way!

Oh, and Happy Year of the Tiger - gung hay fat choy (I hope I'm saying that right...)

No comments:

Post a Comment